[Sca-cooks] Beets (was Eggplant)

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 1 15:47:35 PST 2004

So are you saying that the pie should be made with white beet roots, red beet roots or white or red greens?  I understand about the problems with secondary sources, but, at the time, it was all I had.  Not making excuses, mind you, but you go with what you have.

According to the bibliography, Ms. Lorwin used the 1597 edition of the herbal.  It is, I believe, reasonable to think that the red variety was certainly known when Partridge wrote his recipe.  And, if that's the case, even though it may not have been a common thing, if he meant to use the root, it may well have been that it was the red beet...since, as you point out, the part of the white that was most commonly used was the greens.

I'm not trying to keep the discussion going, but rather to make sure that the recipe I've used for years...and that folks here in Atlantia know and love, is accurate.  So far, I've not seen anything that makes me think that the way I've been doing it is wrong...or out of period.

Kiri