[Sca-cooks] Beets (was Eggplant)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 18:28:55 PST 2004

Here is what Alan Davidson says about "beetroot"
in the Oxford Companion to Food:

Beetroot, one of four useful forms of the
versatile plant 'Beta vulgaris'.  The two which
provide vegetables for human consumption are the
red, globular roots of the beetroot itself, and
its leaves, and the stalks and leaves of chard.
Mangelwurzel, treated with beetroot in this
entry, is also cultivated for its edible root,
but used for animal fodder.  The fourth form is
sugar beet, whose roots are an important source
of sugar.

All these cultivated forms are descended from the
sea beet, 'B. maritima', a wild seashore plant
growing around the Mediterranean and Atlantic
coasts of Europe and N. Africa.  This has only a
small root, but its leaves and stems are
sometimes eaten.  Early Greek writers such as
Theophrastus referred to the cultivation of this
plant.  By about 300 BC, there were varieties
with edible roots.

Red beet, known as Roman beet, and yellow-rooted
varieties spread through Europe and Asia in
succeeding centuries.

In Europe, a yellow kind developed into fodder
beet.  In Germany, it was known as Mangoldwurzel
(beet root), which was corrupted to Mangelwurzel
(root for time of need) because it would only be
eaten when nothing else was available.

However, until well after medieval times, beet
roots remained long and relatively thin.  The
first mention of a swollen root seems to have
been in a botanical work of the 1550s and what is
recognized as the prototype of the modern
beetroot, the 'Beta Roman' of Daleschamp, dates
back only to 1587.

In Britain the common beets were originally all
light in colour.  The red beet, when introduced
in the 17th century, was described by Gerard
(1633) with some enthusiasm ('a most excellent
and delicate sallad').  It soon found its way
into the recipe books.  Evelyn (1699) declared
that cold slices of boiled red beetroot (such as
are still familiar to everyone in Britain) made
'a grateful winter Sallet', while adding that it
was 'by French and Italians contriv'd into
curious figures to adorn their Sallets".  The
anonymous but authoritative authors of 'Adam's
Luxury and Eve's Cookery'(1744) gave two recipes,
one for frying red beets as a garnish for carp
and other fish, and the other 'To make the
Crimson Biscuit of red Beet-roots'.

The scarlet colour of beetroot is due to the
combination of a purple pigment, betacyanin, and
a yellow one, betaxanthin.  Yellow roots have
little of the former.  The pigments are much more
stable than most red plant colour, and are
sometimes extracted and used as edible food
colourings.

A cultivated beetroot may be as small as an
orange or as large as a grapefruit.  Although
red, globular varieties are dominant, there are
some with flattened tops, some with golden or
even white flesh, and some shaped like thick
carrots.  Prolonged cooking makes the colour
fade.  When whole beets are boiled, the skin is
left on to avoid damage to the cells and letting
the colour leak out.

Huette

--- david friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>

=====