[Sca-cooks] period apple commerce

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 1 20:21:33 PST 2004

> >> There was plenty of cider in Normandy and Anjou. Why import it?
> > Perhaps for the same reasons the English imported French wine even
> > though they grew grapes and made wine in England?
>
> Because English wines were known for being *really bad*. IIRC it was
> Peter
> of Blois who remarked on the terrible wine. Can't cite it though- guess
> where the books are? :-/
Right. That was the idea behind my comment. The English wine was bad so
they imported the better French wine. Maybe the French cider wasn't
very good and *they* imported English cider.
> > So, was English (or French) cider exported out of the area it was
> made
> > in, in the Middle Ages?
>
> I'm pretty sure that French wines were imported fairly early. How far,
> don't know.
Yes. We also have heard mentions of wines from other areas. Greek wine?
for instance.
> Dang. Now I'll be up all night, mentally going through the bookshelf in
> Sutherlin. I know I've got the English wines comment, but where?...
It will be interesting to see what you turn up.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com