[Sca-cooks] period apple commerce

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Feb 1 02:34:12 PST 2004

At 01:57 AM 2/1/2004, you wrote:

>Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>
>>There's quite a few mentions in various places that French wines from
>>Bordeaux began importing to England in a big way when Henry and Eleanor
>>took the throne- it all being under management, so to speak. And
>>apparently continued so until Gascony slipped from English control.
>>
>>Hmm. A nice glass of Bordeaux would be really nice right now. If there
>>were a tall Gascon to serve it, it would be even better!
>
>Except in England, it's not called Bordeaux. They call it claret or clarey.

But I'm not _in_ England, you silly man. If The Usurper weren't so twitchy,
I might go back and try to retrieve my estate- but the Lord of
Easton-Neston if a partisan of Bolingbroke, so it is only a thing to dream
about, from my tower here in Poitou.

>Personally, I think you'd prefer a nice Sauternes rather than a Bordeaux,
>unless it's a Bordeaux Blanc.

Maybe, but then I usually let you choose the wines. :-)

'Lainie
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918