[Sca-cooks] Beets and backfiles was Beets

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Feb 2 13:01:40 PST 2004

> I think the first one is clearly the root, since
> it talks about the problem of the broth being too
> red, which I don't think happens with the greens.
> For the rest, how do we know if what is being
> used is the root or the green? At least in
> English "red beets" is the name of the
> plant--Gerard talks about the use of its greens,
> as well as recommending the use of the root.

I think we need to ask GwenCat about the Rumpolt items; someone suggested
that the words for beetroot and beet greens in German may be different.

Bear in mind that England is a backwater in terms of period, especially
horticulturally, so if something is coming into England for the first time
at the end of period, there's good reason to suspect it was being used
elsewhere at least 5-10 years before...

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before you
break 'em." -- Terry Pratchett, _Thief of Time_