[Sca-cooks] Beets and backfiles was Beets

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Feb 2 12:23:10 PST 2004

>Although these are not English recipes, here are
>some period German recipes that call for beet
>roots of various types.

I think the first one is clearly the root, since
it talks about the problem of the broth being too
red, which I don't think happens with the greens.
For the rest, how do we know if what is being
used is the root or the green? At least in
English "red beets" is the name of the
plant--Gerard talks about the use of its greens,
as well as recommending the use of the root.