[Sca-cooks] sausage can be fun...

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Tue Feb 3 08:07:05 PST 2004

At 07:38 AM 2/3/2004,kingstaste at mindspring.com said something like:
>  I found the sausage casings hanging
>on a rack, made from 'collagen'.  They were available in various sizes, not
>refrigerated or water-packed, just long tubes of casings in a plastic pack
>on a hanger.  I had to wonder what the actual content of these things were,
>anyone ever play with them?
>Christianna

I tried playing with those when I did the sausage for 50.

My experience with them was less than satisfactory, and the fellow that I
had running the grill on all three attempts with them hated them with a
purple passion.  They have a much different texture from the natural
casings, almost .. brittle? I tried soaking them with water first, and I
tried using them just dry, in either case, they produced a less than
satisfactory product.

Does anybody know if I was overlooking something in the process???

Regards,
Maggie MacD.