OT Re: [Sca-cooks] Recent Test

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 5 12:25:33 PST 2004

Well, the way it works is that my Norton checks incoming messages, and
files from websites, and catches it there. Never gets into my computer.
But I also run a scan automatically at least every week, after running a
download from Norton of the latest data, just in case. When there are
viruses actively around, I increase the schedule. (I'm on  a lot of
mailing lists, many people have my address...)  I presume that if one
were infecting the scan software, a correction for that would be in the
download. The key, though, is to not get it in the first place. Washing
one's hands, as it were, rather than waiting and taking the antibiotics...

I also don't use either Outlook or IE as a reader. So, while I in theory
could get a virus, so far as I can tell I'm like the Mac users in that I
couldn't send it. No one seems to have bothered to write programs to
infect every single mail reader out there... and there are quite a few.
Diversity is good. I don't count on that, though...

So far as I can tell, webmail users are quite safe. I have a webmail
address I use on a discussion group, since that's even more public than
this (though with our open archives, anything we post can be read by
anybody... which I think we often forget.) Someone on that board was
infected a year or so ago, and the webmail itself killed the viruses - I
always just got a note that the attachment was infected and had been
removed. I have to actively try to download anything from it, had a
terrible time a while ago getting a picture someone sent me, so the odds
of it happening without my knowing seem slim.

A lot, though, seem to be not so much viruses getting through antivirus
programs, as people still not running them, or quite understanding the
whole issue. I'm having a lot of trouble right now from another list I'm
on...  A virus came through. My antivirus caught it.  Then someone
posted "Gee, what was that? I couldn't get it to open on my computer, I
bet it was good, would someone who was able to open it please send it to
me?" AARGHHH!   Then we had a flurry of people brightly explaining that
they knew they couldn't have it, as they "only open attachments from
people they know!"  And I'm getting two or three of that virus (there
are several around right now, just to make things more interesting)
every day. So clearly, the message still hasn't gotten out to everyone...

AEllin