[Sca-cooks] Spirits of hartshorn

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Feb 7 10:37:03 PST 2004

>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
>>  Also sprach Phlip:
>>  >Anybody know where I can find some?
>>
>>  The supermarket cleaning supply aisle. Labelled "Ammonia". Or so I've
>>  been led to understand...
>>
>>  Adamantius
>
>Are you sure? Gene Anderson was telling me it was a leavening agent in
>Chinese cookery... We're off on a discussion...

I think you are looking for Hartshorn or Baker's ammonia, which is
also used for Springerle and other baked goods.
"Ammonia powder is ammonium bicarbonate, a leavening agent that is a
precursor of today's baking powder and baking soda; "
http://www.foodreference.com/html/fhartshorn.html

http://www.foodsubs.com/Leaven.html#baker's%20ammonia

Here are some suppliers that I found on google
http://www.sweetc.com/ingrednt.htm
http://www.houseonthehill.net/S1327.html
http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/htmlos.cgi/5711.5.521374688394669433