[Sca-cooks] Spirits of hartshorn

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Feb 7 19:22:02 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I have a friend who's one of the best-known research chemists in the
> world, and the history of chemistry is a hobby of his. I just called
> him; he's gonna call me back... apparently I interrupted his dinner,
> and having eaten his wife's cooking, I'd call me back later, too ;-)
>
> I'm guessing, from not doing too well in my high-school chemistry,
> that hartshorn-the-salt/nitrogen compound was derived from
> hartshorn-the-gelatin-source (among other things) because of its high
> protein (and therefore high nitrogen) content, but I assume it took a
> good deal more processing to get it to that state.

OK, sounds interesting. In the mean time, I've passed along what you guys
have said to Gene, and asked him for more information- he'll likely get back
to me by Monday- he posted today's response from home, but I expect he'll
wait until he's in his office for the references.

Mentime, if anyone's interested, Paul is back from London, swearing to never
join a tour group again ;-) Seems he missed the tour of the Tower of London
because they all showed up over an hour late....

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.