[Sca-cooks] OOP foodie question for a friend....

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Feb 8 18:10:19 PST 2004

Also sprach Johnna Holloway:
>There's three (yes 3) Lewis and Clark cookbooks out that
>she ought to look at---
>The Lewis & Clark Cookbook: Historic Recipes from the Corps of
>Discovery and Jefferson's America
>
>The Food Journal of Lewis & Clark: Recipes for an Expedition
>
>The Lewis & Clark Cookbook: With Contemporary Recipes
>
>A juvenile title for kids is:
>
>Cooking on the Lewis and Clark Expedition (Exploring History Through
>Simple Recipes)
>
>These should give her a start as well as using the Amelia Simmons
>text that Master A. suggested.
>Karen Hess has edited a facsimile of the seond edition of American
>Cookery which was corrected
>and published in Albany in 1796. It has very good notes on the text
>and period in it.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Johnnae llyn Lewis

It occurred to me, after my earlier response, that one might do well
to investigate the extant cookery book (whose name escapes me) of
Marie-Antonin Careme, who was pretty much _the_ French chef of the
Napoleonic Era (he lived, IIRC, from 1753 - 1833 C.E.), and you can
bet his work was known in Jefferson's household (and probably to
Jefferson personally).

One might also look at Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, whose
"Physiologie du Gout" is one of the early gastronomy texts that isn't
really a cookbook (although it contains some fairly detailed
descriptions of certain dishes, particularly early "recipes" for an
egg-and-cheese fondue and properly brewed coffee for the period.
Brillat-Savarin had been on a tour of America in or about 1800,
shortly before writing his book, and in general he's very
complimentary about American cuisine (it's probably an exaggeration
to say that half the book is a love poem to the turkey, but it seems
that way, from memory).

Anyway, it occurred to me that, given the other half of the Louisiana
Purchase, it would make sense to include at least a nod to French
cookery, especially during the Jefferson Administration.

Adamantius