[Sca-cooks] Oxen and steers, was Recent Test

Ron Carnegie r.carnegie at verizon.net
Wed Feb 11 07:12:59 PST 2004

    No such thing as a male cow.  It is a male neat or a male beeve, or even
a male bovine.  Cow is always female.  An Ox technically can be female and
need not be castrated.  Now saying that they almost always are both those
things.  A female has other more important work to do than being an ox, and
a bull is to much trouble.  They are so typically steers that most non-ox
people will tell you that they are always steers, which is usually correct.
Oxen is plural.

	I have been corrected in this by an ox driver I know.

   Now chickens are another matter!  I don't know how many time I have heard
people say, "that's not a chicken, it is a rooster!"  Roosters are always
chickens, they are never hens, they can become capons.

works with farm animals,
Ranald de Balinhard