[Sca-cooks] Re: Period foods and all that jazz....

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 11 09:14:17 PST 2004

Maire wrote:

> 2.  During the day at the afore-mentioned Spring Feast, I am going to
> be hosting a "Fiber Arts Tea," with the intention of promoting all the
> different fiber-related arts and crafts practiced by our baronial
> members and guests.  I would like to provide light refreshments--sort
> of a light sideboard.  We don't need anything too substantial, because
> there is a lunch, and there will be the feast later.  Other than the
> florilegium, and one Madrone Cooking Guild pamphlet, I really don't
> have any resources for period Italian cooking, let alone nibbley
> stuff.  Any ideas?
> --maire, who guesses she's thinking about food more than she'd thought!

"Fiber Arts Tea" sounds like you should serve bran muffins and such.  ;-)

Make sure you serve "clean hands" goodies that won't get the wool all
goooey.  Maybe muffins are not such a daft idea.  Cheese chunks on
toothpicks maybe. Sheep's milk cheese would compliment the "fiber arts"
theme in a sneaky way!  For that matter, do you actually =need= to ruin
their luncheon appetites with much beyond beverages?  Far be it from me
to discourage a food presentation but you don't want to distract too
much attention from the main art form of the day.

Selene Colfox