[Sca-cooks] soda bread plate

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Feb 12 07:39:09 PST 2004

Also sprach Kathleen A. Roberts:
>Later, and according to some, heretical, additions
>>include buttermilk, butter, sugar, raisins and/or currants, and caraway
>>seeds.
>
>and the even more heretical yellow (corn) meal.

Wow! I never heard of _that_ one. Will wonders never cease? I can
sort of vaguely see the rationale for the other stuff, it all being
what went into a lot of English cakes from the 17th to the 19th
centuries, in one form or another (probably starting with butter,
raisins and/or currants and caraway confits), but yellow corn meal?
Why would anyone do such a thing? Does it make a buttery thing (which
isn't supposed to be buttery in the first place) seem to be more so,
for its yellow color? Or are we just talking about sprinkling it on
the bottom to keep it from sticking, like some other breads? (The
anticipated response to that last question doesn't fill me with
optimism, though...)

Adamantius