[Sca-cooks] soda bread plate

Kathleen A. Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Thu Feb 12 08:11:00 PST 2004

--On Thursday, February 12, 2004 10:39 AM -0500 "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus
Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
  corn meal....

> just talking about sprinkling it on the bottom to keep it from sticking,
> like some other breads? (The anticipated response to that last question
> doesn't fill me with optimism, though...)

isn't it cute when they get so optimistic?  ;)   well, certainly OOP if
that helps....

according to one of my irish cook books, it was added 19th cent.  in fact,
several of my little (and i mean little) cook books purchased on a trip to
ireland mention the addition of yellow meal into the soda bread.  it is
added as part of the dry mix.... not unlike corn bread in proportion.  i
haven't tried it cuz it seems like a lousy idea to me, too.

a lot of the baking with it apparently was initially hit or miss, with some
of the good housewives using as much soda as cornmeal until they all
figured out viable proportions.

used as a porridge, yellow meal  was said to splatter so in the bastible
while cooking that the ladies swore the devil's wife was stirring the pot
with her dainty cloven hand!  when mother put yellow meal on to simmer, the
children were sent away from the hearth fire lest they be injured.
reminds me of mom and the pressure cooker back in the late 50's when i was
a kid.  8D

cailte

''Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy.''
                                                        W.B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Administrative Asst. II
UNM Freshman Admissions