[Sca-cooks] OOP? Raw meat...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Feb 12 13:41:23 PST 2004

Also sprach Harris Mark.S-rsve60:
>Angharad replied to Adamantius with:
>>raw kibbe (lamb) in places like Lebanon,
>
>This one surprised me a bit because of Muslim [and Jewish] prohibitions
>against raw meat.  There are many Christians in Lebanon, so it is possible
>the raw lamb is prepared by Christians and eaten by Christians.  I cant
>picture Muslims eating any raw meat.
><<<<<<<<<<
>
>Interesting. Although we've talked about both Jewish and Muslim food
>restrictions before, this is the first that I can remember the
>subject of raw meat coming up.  Is this a restriction on eating all
>types of meat raw? How is "raw" defined?

I assume raw is not touched in some way, literally or symbolically,
by fire, and since one way of kashering meat seems to involve
broiling it in the form of steaks or slices, I imagine that rare or
raw meat is assumed to contain blood, which is pretty much the
supreme no-no for both Halal and Kashrut.

>  Does smoking raw meat get around this restriction?

You probably should distinguish between cold-smoked and hot-smoked
foods: lox are pretty much raw, from a textural standpoint, while
things like kippered salmon (unlike kippered herring), is hot-smoked
until cooked fully through. Some would probably argue that if it's
smoked, the smoke came from a fire and the food is cooked, in nomine
patris... (oops, wrong religion!), period. Others would argue that
the emperor has no clothes and that this fish is raw.

>  What about pickling in something like ceviche(sp?)? Yes, I know
>that this often has shellfish in it but I believe there is some that
>is just fish.

Correct. I don't know whether ceviche, even assuming it is made from
the proper fish, is considered "cooked" in the kosher sense. Again,
it may be a matter for interpretation.

Adamantius