[Sca-cooks] OOP? Raw meat...

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Feb 12 12:53:19 PST 2004

Angharad replied to Adamantius with:
>raw kibbe (lamb) in places like Lebanon,

This one surprised me a bit because of Muslim [and Jewish] prohibitions
against raw meat.  There are many Christians in Lebanon, so it is possible
the raw lamb is prepared by Christians and eaten by Christians.  I cant
picture Muslims eating any raw meat.

Interesting. Although we've talked about both Jewish and Muslim food restrictions before, this is the first that I can remember the subject of raw meat coming up.  Is this a restriction on eating all types of meat raw? How is "raw" defined? Does smoking raw meat get around this restriction? What about pickling in something like ceviche(sp?)? Yes, I know that this often has shellfish in it but I believe there is some that is just fish.

Stefan