[Sca-cooks] OOP? Raw meat...

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Feb 12 15:08:33 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/12/2004 11:30:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
adamantius.magister at verizon.net writes:

<<Does anybody remember a parent or
grandparent, possibly one who would sneer at fancy presentations with
egg yolks and capers, grossing out the kids by eating raw meat on rye
with maybe a few pickles?>>

Well, sort of.  My father, who definitely sneers at all high-falutin' food
presentations, used to take raw ground beef, sprinkle it with a bit of seasoned
salt, and eat it while making hamburgers or separating meat for the freezer.
he taught me to do it, too, and I will still occasionally snitch a bite.  No
bread or anything, just the meat.  Certainly grosses out my husband
effectively, who comes from a medium-well beef family...
My Dad's also the man who taught me to spoon drippings from roast beef into
my mashed potatos.  And since we did medium rare beef at my house, that means
something pretty well blood-colored, at least.

Of course, Dad also used to tell us stories about when he was a kid, how they
would cook road-kill animals in their mother's scrub buckets with vegetables
stolen from people's victory gardens...Knowing my Dad, he probably did, but
between the road kill and the residues from the scrub buckets I'm not sure why
he's still alive at age 74.

Brangwayna

PS. Dad is of German-English (surname Croll, mother's maiden name Page)
background, but at least several generations removed from the boat that brought
Zebulon Croll (isn't that a cool name?) over here.