[Sca-cooks] was mad cow... now brain sandwiches

Ana Valdés agora at algonet.se
Fri Feb 13 06:53:28 PST 2004

My grandfather was a veterinary and a chemist. He had a laboratory in
our home and my mother and him made an elixir for the memory based on
brains. I can't eat brains myself, since I have too fresh in my memory
all these coppar pots with simmerings brains, yuck...
Ana

Phlip wrote:

>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>

>>Brain sandwiches (someone posted)......
>>About a month ago I either saw on the food channel or read an article
>>

>about
>

>>this diner type restaurant whose 'specialty la maison' was fried brain
>>sandwiches.... and people would line up for them!!!
>>
>>As a child my grandmother made brains once,,,,,, my granddad hated it, but
>>politely ate it because his wife made it for him.
>>
>>....ah the things we do for love!!
>>Phillipa
>>

>Well, I had never tried brains until I butchered the lamb at Pennsic. In
>line with using up as much of the animal as possible, I included the brains,
>and cooked them myself, since I had a recipe (and I was leaving the more
>common cuts for the newer cooks).
>
>I had never avoided them due to any distaste, it's jut the few times I saw
>them on sale, I had no clue as to what to do with them, so I never bought
>them.
>
>I discovered that they're extremely rich, but tasty as I prepared them
>(period recipe. that had them cooked in a Hollandaise-type of sauce) and was
>very glad that someon had provided some flat bread for the potluck.
>
>They're certainly something I'd try again, next time I butcher, but with my
>hobbies, brains usually tend to be reserved for tanning leather- sorta
>"Can't eat your brains and tan with them too"  ;-)
>
>Saint Phlip,
>CoDoLDS
>
>"When in doubt, heat it up and hit it with a hammer."
> Blacksmith's credo.
>
> If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is probably not a
>cat.
>
>Never a horse that cain't be rode,
>And never a rider who cain't be throwed....

Skarpnäcks Allé 45
128 33 Skarpnäck
Phone: +468-943288
Cell: +46703213370