[Sca-cooks] Re: Liver dumplings

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 07:27:33 PST 2004

Margaret wrote:
Now I'm curious, since I mentioned it--how period is
my grandmother's
liver dumpling soup recipe?

This is it--chicken livers, egg, salt, pepper,
breadcrumbs, onions. You
put it all in a blender, and add breadcrumbs until
it's a good
scoopable
consistency and cook it in boiling chicken broth. I
imagine one could
do
something similar in a mortar, but I haven't seen any
period recipes
for
this. I also haven't been looking too hard, because it
never came up
before.

> There are plenty of recipes in Italian cooking for
fegatini or litteraly faggots.  They cook the liver in
broth, grind with cheese and bread and then roll in a
caul and grill or boil again prior to serving,
somewhat of a liver sausage, similar to what you are
talking about, but not using raw liver as a starting
point.

Helewyse