[Sca-cooks] soda bread with corn meal

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Feb 13 09:13:44 PST 2004

One of the things that one comes across when reading about the famines
of the 1840's was that
Ireland was sent "corn meal" or Indian meal or maize at that time as
something to eat.
Following the famine, Indian meal continued to be something that was
imported
and eaten in Ireland and that might well account for it showing up in
some soda bread recipes.
Pellagra in fact became a problem in Ireland later in the 19th century
just as
it was in the rural American south. [See Clarkson and Crawford Feast and
Famine.
A History of Food and Nutrition in Ireland 1500-1920 for more details.]

Soda bread only dates from the first half of the 19th century at its
earliest
which means that it just predates the famine. The use of commercial soda
was only becoming common in the early 1840's, according to Cowan and Sexton
in the volume Ireland's Tradtional Foods. (This volume was prepared for
the GEIE/Euroterroirs project by Teagasc, The National Food Centre.)

The best available book on the topic at the moment is Tim Allen's
(no not Home Improvement) The Ballymaloe Bread Book which Pelican
released in the US in 2002.

Hope this helps

Johnnae llyn Lewis