[Sca-cooks] was mad cow... now brains

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 11:01:33 PST 2004

Ana Valdés wrote:
> Please, do anyone have recipes or stories about that kind of food? I am
> now completing my longterm project about the cookbook I am writing,
> about "cruel food". And I need recipes and tales about lambtesticles and
> brains and all people in different cultural times has eaten.
> My idea with the book is punctualize its not any "forbidden or
> disgusting food", everything is eadible if you need or fancy doing that.
> Have now  an enormous bibliography about these kind of alimentary taboos.

My older cousin went on a several year jag of finding "dare foods," and I
joined him on a few expeditions.  Fried turkey testicles and sauteed beef
testicles (Rocky Mountain Oysters) were just fine.  Pickled sheep's
testicles, roast calf's head, and other items from our trip to the little
family-run Basque joint still make me cringe, though.

I trust you've gone through both the book and TV editions of Tony Bourdain's
"A Cook's Tour?"  Bugs, cobra hearts, and BBQ iguana, oh, my.

-Lorenz