[Sca-cooks] was mad cow... now brains

Ana Valdés agora at algonet.se
Sat Feb 14 15:29:02 PST 2004

Thanks a lot for your advice, mylord! And yes, please, I should love
have the info abour "Strange Foods". For all interested in these topics
and in the different "food habits" I can recommend an excellent book,
"Eat not this Flesh, Food Avoidances from Prehistory to the Present",
written by Frederick J. Simoons.
Ana

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Ana asked:
>
>> Please, do anyone have recipes or stories about that kind of food? I am
>> now completing my longterm project about the cookbook I am writing,
>> about "cruel food". And I need recipes and tales about lambtesticles and
>> brains and all people in different cultural times has eaten.
>> My idea with the book is punctualize its not any "forbidden or
>> disgusting food", everything is eadible if you need or fancy doing that.
>> Have now  an enormous bibliography about these kind of alimentary
>> taboos.
>
> Perhaps these files in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium might
> be of use?
> exotic-meats-msg  (76K)  2/12/04    Period and SCA exotic meats.
> Swans, ostrich,
>                                        crawfish, dormice, cat.
> blood-dishes-msg  (20K) 10/ 1/01    Use of blood in period foods.
> Recipes.
> frogs-msg         (16K)  4/29/02    Medieval and period frog recipes.
> Referamces
> horse-recipes-msg (24K)  8/31/03    Period horse recipes. References.
> liver-msg         (37K)  2/11/02    Medieval cooking of liver. Recipes.
> organ-meats-msg   (72K)  2/11/02    Period cooking of organ meats.
> pig-heads-msg      (8K)  2/ 6/04    Cooking, displaying or otherwise
> working
>                                        with pig’s heads. Real and
> artificial.
>   (this one may not be on the website yet. Let me know and I'll email
> it or get it online)
> snails-msg        (13K)  8/30/00    Eating of snails in period. Recipes.
>
> There were also at least two books that were mentioned here on this
> subject. I can send you the info on the book I posted here, "Strange
> Foods" if that would help.
>
> Stefan
> --------
>    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas