[Sca-cooks] was mad cow... now brains

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 13 23:41:33 PST 2004

Ana asked:
> Please, do anyone have recipes or stories about that kind of food? I am
> now completing my longterm project about the cookbook I am writing,
> about "cruel food". And I need recipes and tales about lambtesticles
> and
> brains and all people in different cultural times has eaten.
> My idea with the book is punctualize its not any "forbidden or
> disgusting food", everything is eadible if you need or fancy doing
> that.
> Have now  an enormous bibliography about these kind of alimentary
> taboos.
Perhaps these files in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium might
be of use?
exotic-meats-msg  (76K)  2/12/04    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans,
ostrich,
                                        crawfish, dormice, cat.
blood-dishes-msg  (20K) 10/ 1/01    Use of blood in period foods.
Recipes.
frogs-msg         (16K)  4/29/02    Medieval and period frog recipes.
Referamces
horse-recipes-msg (24K)  8/31/03    Period horse recipes. References.
liver-msg         (37K)  2/11/02    Medieval cooking of liver. Recipes.
organ-meats-msg   (72K)  2/11/02    Period cooking of organ meats.
pig-heads-msg      (8K)  2/ 6/04    Cooking, displaying or otherwise
working
                                        with pig’s heads. Real and
artificial.
   (this one may not be on the website yet. Let me know and I'll email
it or get it online)
snails-msg        (13K)  8/30/00    Eating of snails in period. Recipes.

There were also at least two books that were mentioned here on this
subject. I can send you the info on the book I posted here, "Strange
Foods" if that would help.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas