[Sca-cooks] Valentine's Dinner

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 15 00:58:36 PST 2004

Kiri asked:
> What did anyone else do for Valentine's Day?
Since my wife was staying with my brother's kids so he and his wife
could have a special valentine's day elsewhere, I chose to cook some
items my wife would not eat.
Santa Fe Chipotle soup
Broiled Portobello mushrooms topped with gorgonzola cheese and chicken
and apple sausage.

The soup was from a mix from Bear Creek but I added chicken and
jalapenos. It came out rather spicy and sinus clearing.
The idea for the Portobello mushrooms came from a pair of messages on
this list in January. I'd never had stuffed Portobella mushrooms
before. They came out rather good, although next time I will use less
olive oil.

However, they were more baked than broiled. :-( This is the first time
I've tried to use the broiler since we moved into this house last
October. And when I went to put the baking tray in the oven, I found
out that the compartment beneath the stove is apparently a storage area
and not a broiler like I had in my last house and my apartment before
that. But the oven knob on the stove had a "broil" position.

There is something that looks like it might be a gas burner on the top
of the oven compartment. Is this supposed to fire up when the knob is
set to "broil"? It never came on. Anybody ever had a problem like this?
The stove is a Kenmore.

#@$%&!!! Lol. Okay, I'm going to leave the last two paragraphs in and
you can laugh at Stefan. To check the brand name of the oven I went
into the kitchen. And I noticed that there are *two* knobs on the stove
that say "broil". One is the standard oven temperature/self cleaning
knob. The other one, which I didn't notice before now, says "bake",
"time bake", "broil" and "clean".  When both are set to "broil" the
upper burner in the oven does indeed come on and the lower one does not.

Well, at least now I don't have to spend time figuring out what is
wrong or call a repairman. And next time I will have "broiled" stuffed
Portobello mushrooms.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas