[Sca-cooks] Caesar salad

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 18:25:37 PST 2004

According to the Oxford Companion to Food, Caesar
Salad was invented by Caesar Cardini in Tijuana,
Mexico in 1924.  The original six ingredients
were:  romainne lettuce, garlic, olive oil,
croutons, parmesan cheese and Worchestershire
sauce.  Anchovy was added later and without
Cardini's approval, as he thought the anchovy
from the Worchestershire sauce was sufficient.

Huette

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
> >Hey, happy birthday!
> >--maire
> >
> >Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
> >
> >>It being my birthday, some relatives took me
> out for dinner.  I had
> >>a Caesar salad and shrimp scampi with
> linguini.  The salad dressing
> >>was good, but I was disappointed that the
> greens were limited to
> >>iceberg lettuce.
>
> Hmmm. Classically, Caesar (actually I believe
> the man for whom it is
> named spelled it "Cesare") salad is made with
> Romaine, and no other
> greens, unless you count the garlic in the
> dressing. I also had some
> Ceasar (Cesare?) salad last night: mine was
> tasty, but seemed to be
> mostly cheese and anchovy. I like both, but
> what makes it is that
> perfect marriage of egg yolk, lemon, olive oil,
> garlic, cheese,
> anchovy, and Worcestershire. I'm talking about
> the Real McCoy, not
> the pre-made salad dressings a lot of places
> now use: this is good
> also, and for a while it seemed to me I was
> making the stuff for a
> living 48 hours a week, so I got quite good at
> it, but Caesar (or
> Cesare) would have been shocked... especially
> when he found that I
> used to sneak a dash of Tabasco into mine.
>
> Adamantius

=====
shall never cease to be amused.