[Sca-cooks] spices for feasts

Ruth Tannahill rtanhil at fast.net
Mon Feb 16 16:44:23 PST 2004

Our group tends to store dry goods. Spices, etc. get purchased on the feast
budget. Leftovers go in the spice box. It only gets to be a problem when I
find the odd moldy ginger root/garlic bulb/box of currants, or leaky bottle
in there. If I can't identify something by smell, it gets pitched. Even if
the stuff was dated (some of it is...), I'd still have to do this. Storage
conditions can be a bit unpredictable. The spice box is stored in an area
cooler than the rest of the house, which prolongs their life, but it gets
transported in peoples' trunks....

Understand, we're in an area with many ethnic groceries, so spices aren't as
expensive as they might be elsewhere.

Berelinde, the chamberlain