[Sca-cooks] Standing crust

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Feb 16 20:34:35 PST 2004

On Feb 16, 2004, at 7:54 PM, Robert Downie wrote:

> Daniel Myers wrote:
>
>> It's close to what I want, but I need to make it larger and have the
>> walls be taller to better support the decoration.  I used a different
>> recipe for my first try and it was a total mess - couldn't support its
>> own weight, lumpy, and too soft to hold its shape.
>
> It looks wonderful!  Would you mind sharing the recipe for the crust?
> We
> also tried to make freestanding pastry containers for our last feast
> and
> they turned out much the same as you describe your first attempt -  ie
> they self destructed (which is why I ended up using way more paper
> mache
> than I had originally intended).

It's pretty much a standard short crust recipe:
	3 cups flour
	1 cup shortening
	1 tsp. salt
	enough water to make it hold together

Cut the shortening into the flour, mix in water a bit at a time, roll
out.  You could use butter instead of shortening, but I think that
makes the pastry more delicate and difficult to work with (but it
smells better!).  Essentially the same ingredients as the floppy
version, but different proportions and method.

I rolled out a circle for the base, cutting around a plate to get an
even circle.  Then I made a long strip for the sides, and applied the
oak leaves.  I had to fold the sides to double the thickness so it'd
stand up properly, which if you look carefully you'll see it buckled a
bit and puffed up at the top.  This also meant that the sides weren't
tall enough to fully support the leaves, so I had to put in toothpicks
to keep them from drooping while it cooked.  I'll probably make double
the batch next time, make the walls a lot thicker, and fill the whole
thing with dried beans while it bakes to help support the walls while
it bakes.

- Doc