[Sca-cooks] shipping manifests and port records

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Feb 17 06:05:52 PST 2004

> A shipping manifest is the record of what items were shipped on one
> voyage of a ship, correct? How detailed are these? Do they actually
> detail what was shipped? Or just a general description or maybe only
> the shipper and the amount of cargo shipped?

Usually they are very detailed, in order to prove that the same stuff came
off the ship at the end of the journey as at the beginning.

> What do you mean by port records? And how do these differ from a
> shipping manifest? How far back do such records exist?

I'm not sure how far back records exist, but port records would indicate
how much of what came in on cargoes-- they were used to track tarriffs. So
they would be detailed, but government records.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If God is satisfied with the work, the work may be satisfied with
itself."  --  C.S. Lewis