[Sca-cooks] shipping manifests and port records

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 16 21:37:58 PST 2004

Bear commented:
> Shipping manifests (other than those in the Archives of the Indies in
> Seville) might be a little hard to find.
> Port records, on the otherhand, especially those in England, should be
> fairly
> plentiful.
A shipping manifest is the record of what items were shipped on one
voyage of a ship, correct? How detailed are these? Do they actually
detail what was shipped? Or just a general description or maybe only
the shipper and the amount of cargo shipped?

What do you mean by port records? And how do these differ from a
shipping manifest? How far back do such records exist?

Stefan
(Even if I can get them, I probably can't read them...)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com