[Sca-cooks] P things to put on bread?

Kathleen A. Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Feb 17 07:13:49 PST 2004

--On Tuesday, February 17, 2004 9:23 AM -0500 a5foil <a5foil at ix.netcom.com>
wrote

> Our experience is that if you have good sauces, and tell people in advance
> to soak up the leftover sauce with the bread, you don't need anything else
> to put on the bread.

we tend to put out bread as an on-the-table or first course to appease the
hunger monsters during or right after court, so folks wouldn't be waiting
for their gravy/sauce. 8)   which can unfortunately lead to people filling
up on bread and being 'et out' by the time the first course is over with.
unfortunate.  so i learned to put out less bread and use that bread under
the stews.

i find if bread is put out to appease, sending it whole and having people
break it slows them down (oddly as does dipping in oil--i suppose because
it makes them think about what they are doing).  pre-sliced or broken bread
and butter generates an automatic reflex to the (as the cooking channel
would say) the 'snack-jones gland'.

if you are going for taste and or ambiance rather than competition style
documentation, may i recommend just using a good olive oil rather than oil
and vinegar?    perhaps with a sprinkling or black pepper on top?

no documentation, no... but effective for getting away from butter without
being too jarring to the ambiance.

cailte

''Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy.''
                                                        W.B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Administrative Asst. II
UNM Freshman Admissions