[Sca-cooks] P things to put on bread?

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 17 06:23:00 PST 2004

I asked Tom about this. He says he doesn't know of any evidence for oil and
vinegar on bread in the Spanish or Catalan cuisine. Nothing in the recipe
books, and no depictions in art of which he is aware, either. Which of
course doesn't mean they didn't do it -- absence of evidence is not evidence
of absence -- but it can't be documented. It could certainly be one of those
things that didn't need to be written down.

Apparently there's no evidence for *anything* on bread, except as sops, even
cheese. But we serve cheese with bread at Banquet, because it appeals to
modern tastes. So you could certainly serve oil and vinegar, as long as you
didn't say it was documentable. And as long as you got good oil and vinegar!

Our experience is that if you have good sauces, and tell people in advance
to soak up the leftover sauce with the bread, you don't need anything else
to put on the bread.

Cynara