[Sca-cooks] Squirrel recipes

Laura L laura at wisterian.net
Tue Feb 17 07:30:54 PST 2004

>From From Marx Rumpolt, Ein New Kochbuch, c. 1581
Transliteration and translation © 1999 by M. Grasse
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_game1.htm

Von einem Eichhorn kanstu nemmen zum Gebraten/ eynmachen/
vnd in ein Pasteten eyngeschlagen/ vnd kalt lassen werden/
so ist es gut vnnd wolgeschmack.

My very literal translation using my elementary knowledge of German,
babelfish and the LEO dictionary (http://dict.leo.org/?lang=en)

>From a squirrel can you take to roasted/ to confect/ and in pies stamped
(beaten/struck) and cold will leave like that is good it and pleasant
tasting.

My less literal translation: chop up roasted squirrel and make a pie, good
both warm and cold.

Of course, I could be way off base.

-Irmgart