[Sca-cooks] Partly OP: Brown vs. white rice?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Feb 18 07:40:12 PST 2004

Actually for Rice----
I am going to mention two sources that I have at hand----
Now ok these concern American rice but the historical aspects
are mentioned, both contain bibliographies and there are footnotes to
be explored---
The Carolina Rice Kitchen by Karen Hess . University of South Carolina
Press,  1992.
Black Rice. The African Origins of Rice Cultivation in the Americas by
Judith A. Carney.
Harvard University Press,  2001.

One aspect that both talk about is the growth of rice production on the
West African coast
as the Portuguese voyages of discovery moved south. Rice, millet, and
sorghum were the
3 cereals being mentioned as grown on that coast in the earliest
accounts by the Portuguese.
Hess's book is a really first rate food history and contains a facsimile
of the Carolina Rice
Cook Book. She spends one entire chapter tracing the history of the dish
Pilau.

Another new one on the aspects of West Africa and rice
 is Planting Rice and Harvesting Slaves. Transformations along the
Guinea-Bissau Coast, 1400-1900 by Walter Hawthorne. Heinnemann, 2003.

Before booking the ticket and flying off for tackling such far off
sources as the PRO in London or various archives, there are
a number of other books that also might be looked at--
Under Rice Trade--History, one turns up over a 170 books alone. 110 in
non-Asian languages.
and 240 under Rice--History.
You might want to take a look at LOC.gov and explore some titles there
under these headings.

I'll look for some papers later in the citation indexes. There also seem
to be a number of
dissertations.

Johnnae llyn Lewis