[Sca-cooks] Pictures from my Illusion Feast

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 08:16:42 PST 2004

>The crab was supposed to be made entirely of sugar paste surrounding a
>styrofoam bowl to hold the compost ("sweet & sour crab stuffed back into it's
>own shell", actually sweet pickled carrots and pears).

You've invented Kosher crab!  Hehehe.

> Although sugar paste
>is capable of holding liquids for a while, I didn't think pickle juice would
>be the best thing to subject it to :-)

Or vice versa.  As the night wore on, the compost would get sweeter.
 Might be good, might not.

>It would have worked, but the logistics of transporting that many spindly
>little crab legs without breakeage scared me, so we compromised with making
>the bottoms out of paper mache wrapped around a styrofoam bowl, and the top
>shells out of sugar paste, which we transported seperately.

Sounds eminently sensible.  I wonder if one could find a vaguely
triangular bowl and just use that for the bottom?  Time to bug my local
potters' guild.

>I loved the way the compost turned out, that's one recipe I'll definitely be
>doing again - even if it's just for me!

Recipe please?

Selene