[Sca-cooks] Pictures from my Illusion Feast

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 18 14:48:49 PST 2004

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> You've invented Kosher crab!  Hehehe.
> >I loved the way the compost turned out, that's one recipe I'll definitely be
> >doing again - even if it's just for me!
> >
> Recipe please?
>
> Selene

I sent out the whole pamphlet-that-never-was (sigh, it would have been nice to
have them ready for the Event) a couple of days ago, but here's the compost recipe
by itself::
Faerisa

Compost of Pasternak and of Peeres - Forme of Cury:
See original at  http://www.godecookery.com/alabama/alabam01.html#compost

Gode Cookery translation:

Pickled Salad. Take parsley, carrots, radishes; scrape and clean them.
Take white radishes & cabbages, pared and cored. Take an earthen pan with
clean water & set it on the fire; and put all these in. When they've
boiled, add pears and parboil well. Take all these things out and let cool
on a clean cloth. Add salt. When cooled, place in a container; add
vinegar, powder, and saffron, and let sit overnight. Take Greek wine &
honey, clarified together; take "lumbarde" mustard and whole currants, and
cinnamon, "powdour douce" & whole anise seed, & fennel seed. Take all
these things and place together in an earthen pot, and take from it when
you need to, and serve.

    Modern recipe:

         2 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped into medium sized pieces
         3-4 pears, peeled, cored and chopped into medium sized pieces
         1 1/2 heads cabbage
         1 tsp. salt
         1 cup white wine vinegar
         1 Tbs. ground ginger
         1/2 Tbs. each anise seed & fennel seed
         1 1/2 quart white wine
         1/2 cup honey
         1/2 Tbs. mustard seed
         3 cinnamon sticks

Boil the carrots for several minutes, then add the pears, cook a little
more, then add the cabbage. Cook until tender; drain well. Lay carrots and
pears on a clean cloth. Sprinkle on the salt. Let cool, then place in a
large dish or container; sprinkle on the ginger & saffron then pour the
vinegar over all. Cover (the cloth works fine for this) and let stand for
several hours or overnight. Mix the compost with the seeds, place in a
non-metallic container that can be sealed, then set aside. In a separate
pot, bring the honey, cinnamon, and wine to a boil, skimming off any scum
until clear. Remove the cinnamon sticks and pour the liquid over the
compost mixture. Let cool and seal. May be stored for a week or more.