[Sca-cooks] Damascus Question

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 19 13:01:06 PST 2004

Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> So that is what a kard is.
>
> I have purchased several Kershaw Shun knives from
> Sur La Table.  The Santuko/chef's knife isn't
> very different from the kard and is a heck of a
> lot cheaper.  I spent less than $90, with tax.
> I also bought several Shun utility knives as
> gifts to my apprentices, also pattern weld, for
> less than $50 each.

They are very pretty and very nicely balanced knives.  I decided on a new
Global knife instead of the Shun, but Global can't compare in looks.

One minor point of correction -- the Shun knives aren't pattern welded.
They are made by taking a plain VG-10 stainless steel blade and adding 16
layers of SUS410 high-carbon stainless as cladding.  I don't know of anyone
else making Damascene pattern blades with this technique.

-Lorenz