[Sca-cooks] Damascus Question

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Feb 19 15:17:16 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Um.  Wow.
>
> I hadn't paid much close attention to the site -- it was the first one
that
> seemed to have details on a pre-17th century kard.  I didn't notice the
> context was entirely fictional (as explained at
> http://home.clara.net/andywrobertson/dslnotesoncontent.html), and the
> "Figiel Dagger" mentioned is actually a 19th century one from Leo Figiel's
> book on Damascus steel.
>
> Gather round and watch as lazy Google research jumps up and bites me on
the
> butt.
>
> Bad Lorenz.  No biscuit.

That's OK, Lorenz ;-) I know blacksmiths and bladesmiths can be pretty
eccentric, it's when they start making pictures of the blade's Kirlian aura
that I become a little concerned ;-) Well, that, and thinking they're to be
used to fight the Dark, or the Other, or whatever...

Was an interesting picture, though, and I'm getting a better feel for what
is essential to make a knife a kard. If I get the pictures of Cariadoc's
blades, maybe I can figure out what made the particularly kards in period-
defintions of metal artifacts can migrate as much as recipes do, given
enough time.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.