[Sca-cooks] Damascus Question

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Feb 19 15:37:27 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=ab612058a6a3f30a72849eba45dd5fce&threadid=20417&highlight=kard

> -Lorenz

Oh, wow, Lorenz, screw up and do penance more often, will you? Thanks to
this site, I now know a lot more about the blades, at least in 16th century.
They're full tang, off set, and should be no more than about a foot long-
most of the length being blade (2/3) From the descriptions, they were highly
valued, if the materials of the hilt are accurate. If they migrated over to
India in the 16th century, they were probably common in Persia in at least
the latter part of the 15th century. Likely a wedge shape, with flat bevel,
and made of random pattern welding....,

Shorter versions WOULD make useful utility knives, but if too short (less
than 8 inches overall) would lose their unique profile, which makes them a
kard, I suspect...

Thanks, Lorenz- lotsa good stuff from this site ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.