[Sca-cooks] Pictures from my Illusion Feast

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 09:31:41 PST 2004

If you're interested, here is the redaction I did several years ago.  It
worked really well...once people got past the idea that it was made with
all sorts of root veggies that most of them didn't like, they thought it
was great!

Kiri

Redaction:  (Makes about 4 cups)

6 radishes                                                         4 T.
Honey
4 cabbage leaves                                              ½ tsp.
Cinnamon
1 parsnip                                                          1
tsp. fresh ginger root, diced finely
2 turnips                                                           ¼
tsp. mace
1 pear                                                               ¼
tsp. cloves
1 tsp. Salt                                                         ½
tsp. fennel seed
1 ½ C. red wine vinegar                                    ¼ cup currants
½ tsp. Pepper                                                   1 Tbsp.
Lumbard mustard
1 pinch saffron                                                  ½ tsp
whole anise seed
1 ½ C. Sweet wine (Marsala)

 1.  Parboil root vegetables, cabbage in water until almost tender
2. Add to vegetables and continue parboiling until tender.  Drain and cool.
3.  Mix vinegar, pepper and saffron and pour over veggies.
4. Marinate in a cool place overnight.  Then drain liquid from mixture
5. Heat wine and honey together until clarified.
6. Add to wine/honey mixture, mix thoroughly, then cool.
7. Gently mix with vegetable/fruit mixture.  Store, refrigerated, then
serve chilled.

 Notes:

 1.  Recipe calls for "wyne greke" or Greek Wine, which the glossary in
Curye on Inglysch defines as "...a sweet type of wine which actually
came from Italy..."  Marsala seemed to fit this description nicely,
though I understand it is not a period wine.
2.  I omitted the parsley root, as it was unavailable.
3.  I define "poudre" here to mean pepper.
4.  The "...lumbarde mustard..." is taken from a recipe further on in
Forme of Cury.