[Sca-cooks] A Noble Boke off Cookry - copy available

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 09:00:46 PST 2004

Barbara Benson wrote:

>>hello, the list!
>>
>>I've had an e-mail from someone who found on my website the citation for
>>Mrs Alexander Napier's 1882 reprint of the Noble Boke off Cookry.  She has
>>a copy of this, i.e. the 1882 print, which she'd like to sell.  She has no
>>idea how much it's worth, and, frankly, nor do I - I can find no copiesfor
>>
>>sale online, presumably they're all being sat on by libraries.  The
>>photocopy of this edition is in Cariadoc's collection, but if you'd likean
>>
>>original, or if you can advise her on what the thing is actually worth,
>>please do contact her!  e-mail below.
>>
>>JdH

Google comes up with a number of citations for the book on Medieval
Cooking sites, mostly but not all SCA, and in some collections.  I may
make her an offer on my own.

Serena da Riva points out:

>If you search on abeBooks: http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/BookSearch for
>Alexander Napier you will get 7 results of several different books, both by
>Alexander and Mrs Alexander. They start at $12 for a 1900 book and go up to
>$243 for a book with a bookplate from an identifiable historical figure.
>None of these books are the one under discussion, but it may give her a
>starting point.
>
>I would reccomend to her that she go to a rare book store and discuss it
>with them if she truly wants to know how much it is worth. I think she may
>be a bit disappointed.

I browsed the high-ticket items in the cookbook section of ABE and found
many interesting things. Possibly the most immediately important thing I
learned was that I really, really need to catalog my collection [and
check for autographs], some of them are actually worth real money.  In
some cases, I knew it, like the probably-complete collection of M.F.K.
Fisher, but others that I've just happened to have since they were new
are now apparently sought-after.  Who knew?

By The Way:  I collect collections, like those home-town, church or
school fundraiser cookbooks.  Anyone on this list who has one to sell,
please let me know, I am a notoriously soft touch for a fundraiser.
 Besides, if there is even one gem amongst the re-re-re-copies of
seven-layer dip and jello salad, I consider it a worthwhile culinary
purchase.

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net