[Sca-cooks] licorice, was food on St Val's day

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 11:15:28 PST 2004

Not Lindt. I don't remember the name now, though - that's the kind of
thing that will spring into my mind on the subway later, or something
like that...  My grandmother liked them, too, and my mom used them
sometimes as throat lozenges, because they lasted forever even though
they were tiny.

Now, since my feeling about licorice (and anise and all similar evils)
is the same as Phlip's *G* I pretty much didn't eat them. Tried them
every once in a while, as Grandma couldn't believe I wouldn't eventually
like them.  She just thought they weren't sweet enough. That was not the
problem...

Speaking of anise (well, I am, anyway),  I was, in preparation for a
dessert board this June, looking at sweets recipes in Markham (I found
that I seem to  need to go late for much sweet stuff...)  Boy, either he
really liked anise, or it was very popular at the time!  This is going
to be interesting...

AEllin