[Sca-cooks] Doreures et leschefrites

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sat Feb 21 15:54:31 PST 2004

At 04:05 PM 2/21/2004 -0500, Adamantius wrote:
>FWIW, Scully has "doreurs" in his glossary for his edition of Taillevent,
>and he translates it as "glazings". I agree that this could easily be a
>yolky-saffron-ey mixture designed to go  on pommedorry. Now, note that he
>_also_ translates pets d'Espaigne as Spanish Pots or Spanish Farts (as in
>farce or stuffing): think of those English recipes where you make your
>pommedorry mixture into shapes with molds such as sacks or flowerpots,
>then remove, roast and glaze them. I believe there are also English
>recipes that use the same stuffing for castle-shaped subtleties (although
>I think there's also pastry involved in that one). That might serve as
>_some_ evidence, at least, to interpret the expression to mean something
>like, "a gilt-glazed course of 'little apples', 'Spanish flowerpots', and
>'castles'".
>
>Unless instead of castles it has something to do with chestnuts, but I'd
>doubt it.

Thanks! Maybe I should read _Curye on Inglysch_ every time I have questions
about _le Menagier_. :-) It seems like "doreures de pommeaulx et de pe`s
d'Espaigne et de chastellier" might translate pretty well to "English" as
"pomme dorryse and potte wys and chastletes". That's IV 182, IV 185, and IV
197. This raises a new question: the recipe for chastletes seems to
distinguish between the fillings that retain their natural color and those
that are colored with saffron, saunders, or something green (parsley,
perhaps); does this mean that only the fillings are colored, or should the
pastry be colored too? Taillevent isn't helping -- he wants to cover his
tower with linen, which suggests that it's not for eating.

BTW, Scully's Taillevent is now on my shopping list.

Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark