[Sca-cooks] Doreures et leschefrites

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Feb 21 16:20:17 PST 2004

Also sprach Alex Clark:
>Thanks! Maybe I should read _Curye on Inglysch_ every time I have
>questions about _le Menagier_. :-) It seems like "doreures de
>pommeaulx et de pe`s d'Espaigne et de chastellier" might translate
>pretty well to "English" as "pomme dorryse and potte wys and
>chastletes". That's IV 182, IV 185, and IV 197.

Well, frankly, what better way to answer a question you may have from
a 1390 CE cookbook than another 1390 CE cookbook, if possible? ;-)

>  This raises a new question: the recipe for chastletes seems to
>distinguish between the fillings that retain their natural color and
>those that are colored with saffron, saunders, or something green
>(parsley, perhaps); does this mean that only the fillings are
>colored, or should the pastry be colored too? Taillevent isn't
>helping -- he wants to cover his tower with linen, which suggests
>that it's not for eating.

AAAAGGGHHH!!! Would Johnnae and the lady who was translating the
Italian recipe for stuffed shoulder of castrone please look at
Taillevent, recipe #212, and tell me it's not either the same recipe
with minor changes, or possibly inspired by the same thing? I'd
assume that after having gone to the trouble to make the filling
edible, it's intended to be eaten. I wonder if your translator's use
of "linen" is correct. Taillevent uses the noun "ratiz", which might
be from the Latin "reticulum", which is a sort of net, I believe, but
Chiquart uses the word "crepinette", which, as today, can mean
_either_ a kind of cloth, but _also_ caul fat and foods bundled
therein. Today, a crepinette in culinary parlance is a sort of
sausage-burger wrapped in caul.

>BTW, Scully's Taillevent is now on my shopping list.

It's a good piece of work. The other gentle who also responded to
your question, Thorvald, also has done a good translation of
Taillevent. You might ask him about it. I STR there are some areas
where Thorvald and Scully disagree, but I believe both are better
than most of the other versions available.

Adamantius