[Sca-cooks] Doreures et leschefrites

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sat Feb 21 17:52:32 PST 2004

At 07:20 PM 2/21/2004 -0500, Adamantius wrote:
>Also sprach Alex Clark:
>>  . . . Taillevent isn't helping -- he wants to cover his tower with
>> linen, which suggests that it's not for eating.
>
>AAAAGGGHHH!!! Would Johnnae and the lady who was translating the Italian
>recipe for stuffed shoulder of castrone please look at Taillevent, recipe
>#212, and tell me it's not either the same recipe with minor changes, or
>possibly inspired by the same thing? I'd assume that after having gone to
>the trouble to make the filling edible, it's intended to be eaten. I
>wonder if your translator's use of "linen" is correct. Taillevent uses the
>noun "ratiz", which might be from the Latin "reticulum", which is a sort
>of net, I believe, but Chiquart uses the word "crepinette", which, as
>today, can mean _either_ a kind of cloth, but _also_ caul fat and foods
>bundled therein. Today, a crepinette in culinary parlance is a sort of
>sausage-burger wrapped in caul.

We must be looking at different recipes. I seem to have skimmed right over
the recipe for mottes and mangonels (/motes et mangonneaulx/); what I found
instead is the recipe for a tower (/une tour/), which is covered with
/toille/. I may have been thrown off by the line "Stuffed mutton shoulders"
(just above "Mottes . . .") which completely fails to suggest castles to
me. :-/

Henry/Alex