[Sca-cooks] Doreures et leschefrites

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Feb 21 19:42:02 PST 2004

Also sprach Alex Clark:
>At 07:20 PM 2/21/2004 -0500, Adamantius wrote:
>>Also sprach Alex Clark:
>>>  . . . Taillevent isn't helping -- he wants to cover his tower
>>>with linen, which suggests that it's not for eating.
>>
>>AAAAGGGHHH!!! Would Johnnae and the lady who was translating the
>>Italian recipe for stuffed shoulder of castrone please look at
>>Taillevent, recipe #212, and tell me it's not either the same
>>recipe with minor changes, or possibly inspired by the same thing?
>>I'd assume that after having gone to the trouble to make the
>>filling edible, it's intended to be eaten. I wonder if your
>>translator's use of "linen" is correct. Taillevent uses the noun
>>"ratiz", which might be from the Latin "reticulum", which is a sort
>>of net, I believe, but Chiquart uses the word "crepinette", which,
>>as today, can mean _either_ a kind of cloth, but _also_ caul fat
>>and foods bundled therein. Today, a crepinette in culinary parlance
>>is a sort of sausage-burger wrapped in caul.
>
>We must be looking at different recipes. I seem to have skimmed
>right over the recipe for mottes and mangonels (/motes et
>mangonneaulx/); what I found instead is the recipe for a tower (/une
>tour/), which is covered with /toille/. I may have been thrown off
>by the line "Stuffed mutton shoulders" (just above "Mottes . . .")
>which completely fails to suggest castles to me. :-/

That's recipe 216 in the Scully edition, and it does appear to be a
completely inedible set-piece, and yes, linen seems to be involved.
But either I'm delirious with the onset of what seems like might be
flu, or we've somehow gotten away from our original topic, which I
thought was to find a continuous thread of relevance between
glazings, golden apples, and castles.  Either that, or we've migrated
back and forth between Le Menagier and Taillevent a couple hundred
times without realizing it.

It's pretty rotten to play with the brain of a sick man... ;-) Or
maybe I've just got the dreaded cockaphoobia.

Adamantius <grumble>