[Sca-cooks] Compost

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 21 21:48:12 PST 2004

Ranvaig commented:
> I have a question about compost.  What size do you cut the pieces of
> the various veggies?  I've been served it cut into fairly big slices,
> some of the recipes say to cut into chunks, some into cubes.
I wonder if this likely varied depending upon individual tastes. When I
made compost for the Crown Luncheon I did, I cut most of the pieces
fairly small, because I was envisioning it more of a chutney type
topping. If someone is thinking of the compost as a salad of pickled
vegetables, then I could see the pieces being larger. Above a certain
point, the shape of the pieces is going to depend upon the size of the
vegetables involved since cabbage is likely to be in layers and carrots
are only so big in diameter so you would have both large and small
pieces. I think when I've seen jars of pickled vegetables in the store,
the items inside are of different sizes and shapes.

> I cleaned out the fridge and found carrots, parsnips, cabbage and
> pears... I'm gonna make a batch today.
This brings up an idea for modern compost that has similarities to my
understanding of how period compost was done. Since the various items
that compose compost ripen at different times throughout the year, I
believe each was picked at their optimum time, chopped and placed in
the pickling solution. When the next item was available, it was
chopped, placed in the solution and more solution added if needed. Etc
until the harvest is finished.

You could do the same. When you clean out your refrigerator, you chop
up these leftover veggies, and place them in the solution and perhaps
using them as time goes by. Then when you next have a surplus of items
in the refrigerator or buy a surplus, you chop them up and add them to
the compost jar and continue.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas