[Sca-cooks] Medieval History Magazine (wasmeatpastiesand theirlongevity)

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 11:04:28 PST 2004

When I tried a coffin pastry (18th cent), I rolled & cut out the sides,
bottom, & top separately, but that was how my boss showed me, so an
experiment into shaping sides & bottom as one would be interesting.
However, I wonder why he pre-baked?  My understanding is that coffin
pastries were used as we would use a casserole dish today---you have a
goodlooking container for your food, but you don't eat it.  It's also a
show-off thing, since it takes a lot of flour and skill to make, just to be
disposed of when the innards of the pie are eaten.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!
This is very good advice.