[Sca-cooks] Spices was licorice,

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Feb 23 13:54:59 PST 2004

At 01:52 PM 2/23/2004, you wrote:
>Also sprach Ron Carnegie:
>>Greetings all,
>>
>>    Unless I am greatly mistaken I think you will find that NO spice is grown
>>in Europe. (Unless in a hothouse).
>>
>>    To add to the confusion however, it appears that one may "spice" (the
>>verb) with an herb and not just spices!
>
>Of course, it's possible to worry too much about narrow-focus definitions.
>We're looking at a case of intersecting but incongruent sets. By that
>definition, cayenne pepper or other chili powders are, arguably, not a
>spice, to which I simply say, hogwash, and then there's also the question
>of how to classify all the non-herbaceous "herbs".
>
>Adamantius

Where might this put saffron? It is my understanding that it was grown in
England through the High Middle Ages. Is saffron an herb, or a spice?

'Lainie
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918