[Sca-cooks] Spices was licorice,

Ron Carnegie r.carnegie at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 16:57:56 PST 2004

  Interesting question, this could be the one that really puts the usage to
the test!  All the references I can find online call it a spice.  They also
however give it locations that almost match the definition that I was given.
(Tropical).  I say almost because they also include some locations I would
call Mediterranean rather than tropical.  Most notably Spain and Greece.
These pages however show no references to the British Isles.  Now this I
believe is wrong.  I am not familiar with English references, but I have
seen Irish references for Saffron, though at the time I was looking at
clothing references rather than foodways!  The list I was looking at was
supposed to be historical sources, but I suspect it was in fact modern
sources.  This would not be surprising as the web is not the greatest place
to do research and the web page in question was a spice merchant rather than
a spice historian.

   By the bye, I feel I have to explain myself here.  I have just made my
second reference in a very short time to a writer being something other than
a historian.  I am not trying to imply or show a historian bias here, far
from it.  I simply mean that history is not the object of the author's piece
or necessarily their interest.  Their history is possibly very accurate,
maybe the individual author has a great interest in the subject and
therefore a great knowledge, but it may also simply be ,"well I think I
heard this once and it sounds good".  No way of to be sure with out knowing
the authors and with no historical sources cited.

Ranald de Balinhard